A step-by-step process for painting an
painting clouds like you've always wanted!
If you're wondering... How do I even start? What colors should I use? Which brush works best for what? How do I make my clouds look the way I want?
This course is for you!
If you’ve watched my videos on Instagram and wished they were longer so you could learn more, this course is for you!
Join me in my studio and follow along while I demystify clouds and share the magic of painting a cloudscape.
By the end of this course, you'll have a cloudscape painting of your own, and new skills you can apply to painting other landscapes. Plus the confidence to paint your next cloudscape!
What you can expect in this online self-paced course:
- Step-by-step painting sessions, including color mixing
- Video lessons that are broken down into bite-sized chunks (almost 4 hours in total)
- An easy, no pressure pace; rewind and rewatch each lesson as often as you like
- LIFETIME access to online lessons, wherever you are, as long as you have internet
- And to tie it all together, beautiful music to listen to while you paint
- Plus a no-risk money back guarantee
I hope you'll join me!
(Note: While I paint in oils, yes you CAN also use acrylics in this course. See the FAQ section below for more information.)
How does the course work?
- Once you’ve enrolled you’ll get immediate access to all the lessons (no waiting for class to begin!)
- You can either watch all the lessons first, or dive right in -- this is a go-at-your-own-pace course
- I've structured the painting sessions as if you're right here with me, in my studio
- You'll paint alongside me (virtually) as we paint a cloudscape from beginning to end
- I explain what we’re doing every step of the way and we listen to some awesome music while we paint
- The course is entirely stream-able, making it easy to watch on any device (again, as long as you have internet)
- You can watch the video lessons as many times and as often as you’d like, whenever it works for your schedule
- And progress tracking lets you know which lessons you’ve finished
- When you're done, you'll have completed a cloudscape painting!
Don't just take my word for it, here's what other artists have to say about Painting Dramatic Clouds, from beginners to experienced painters:
"I love clouds and wanted to learn to paint them better. I feel I took my cloud-painting up to the next level by taking your class. I plan to do a second painting on the same reference photo to see if I can improve on the first. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise."
"I have taken several online courses to improve my painting but this one is the best by far in teaching me new techniques. I feel so much more confident now when I pick up my brush - and I have reviewed the course several times. I'm sure I will continue to learn from it.
Thanks so much for your time and effort! When is the next one? Let's GO!"
"An online course for painting is something that never occurred to me, but it was exactly what I needed. This was also my first painting lesson since I started painting 4 years ago. Your teachings (from Instagram to the course) have been really useful, and I'm thankful for that.
I especially like the photo that you chose and the bonus material where we, the students, can hear you talk more about things that are important to know if you want to be a painter.
Thanks again, I'll enroll in any other course you might open.
"The course really helped me learn new techniques and manage color and blending! I improved so much!"
"Do not hesitate to take a painting lesson from Layne! Not only does he have the knowledge but he also has the ability to articulate the lesson in bite-size pieces so you are able to have a very successful painting at the end of it all. It was a complete joy to learn from Layne Johnson.
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced painter you will learn a lot at your own pace with an exceptional professional artist!"
"I'm really enjoying your "Painting Dramatic Clouds" video course. I'm working on a small 5x7 study just to feel out the technique and will then do a 9x12 or 18x24. Great instructional teaching and I encourage you to do more of these.
For others considering this course, if you enjoy Layne's paintings and techniques, then sign up for this course. It's really awesome and professionally done."
"I think you are the best cloud/sky/landscape artist out there. Your instructional videos are thorough. I appreciate that you offer so much detailed information. I find that I watch a video once or twice before I actually do it. There is so much to learn. Thank you!"
"Every year I try to learn something new. I have zero painting experience so your class is the first class of instruction I've ever signed up for. Before I started my painting I wanted to do a ‘dry run’ and watched the videos to get an understanding of what to do. (Phenomenal by the way.)
This format has been great, super easy to navigate."
"Mr. Layne’s class is so peaceful and educational. My work shall change because of his clear instruction.
I felt like I was in art class and my instructor was painting with me. The music was perfect."
Your Instructor: Layne Johnson
With more than 200,000 followers on social media, Layne Johnson is a highly sought after artist and painting instructor. An award winning lifelong painter and professional artist, Layne’s art career includes graphic designer, illustrator, children’s book artist and fine art painter. These days he's best known for his expansive and dramatic cloudscapes.
Layne’s paintings have been described as a blend of Luminism and Classical Realism with a touch of American Impressionism. His work is available at The Good Art Company in Fredericksburg, TX, and Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas, TX. He's also a member of Oil Painters of America, National Oil & Acrylic Painters' Society, and Artists of Texas.
"Layne Johnson, has returned to his fine art roots in a series of staggeringly breathtaking cloudscapes... There are few artists today who can capture a landscape as does Layne Johnson."
− Art Aesthetics Magazine